Thursday, November 15, 2012

Lucifer, Satan, the Devil...

        The ninth circle is one of the cantos that intrigued me the most, perhaps because my image of Hell prior to reading was red, fiery, burning, and Dante chose to represent it in the opposite way. The blocks of ice, the frozen wind - neither are things that I would have imagined being present in Hell.
        In Canto 34, the imagery of Satan was so strong that I couldn't help but choose to represent him in a collage. I tried to stay very true to the text, so I will note below the passages from which I took my information.


  • "I saw three faces on his head! One was in front, and that was crimson... the right one seemed between white and yellow; the left was such to see as those who come beyond the cataracts of the Nile" (34.37-39, 43-45.)
  • "Beneath each one came out two great wings... their mode was like a bat's; and he was fanning them, so that three winds went out from him" (34.46,49-51.)
  • "With six eyes he was weeping, and down three chins dripped the tears and the bloody slobber" (52-54.)
        I also included frost and stars in the background - the frost to represent the ice that abounds in the ninth circle, and how Dante feels "frozen and feeble" upon seeing Lucifer, and the stars to represent the end of the Comedy when the poet and Virgil find themselves back in the real world, looking at the sky (34.22.)

No comments:

Post a Comment